GSO Grant Reimbursement Procedure

Feel free to submit all receipts and forms electronically in one email to 

Any expense that is 6 months old by the time it reaches the university for processing may be at risk of not getting reimbursed.

  1. To receive your payment, please click here and fill out the GSO Travel Grant Payment Form. Please read the instructions on the form carefully.
  2. Attach this PDF to your email, along with all receipts from the trip and proof of attendance (an email from the conference, your name in a handout, a photo from the event, etc.)
  3. You should hear back shortly from the GSO with confirmation on whether your Travel Grant reimbursement is approved.

Note: Any expense that is 6 months old by the time it reaches the university for processing may be at risk of not getting reimbursed.

Please keep in mind that it takes time to review the forms before sending them for processing, so the sooner you apply for a travel grant and submit the reimbursement form, the better. Send all of the items outlined to the GSO comptroller email (

Please email the GSO comptroller with any deadline concerns.

This form can only be used when the awardee is the one to be paid. If this is not the case, please send an email to the Travel Grant Committee, and we will provide further instructions.

The GSO disburses Travel Grants as reimbursements for expenses already incurred. In addition, these awards are treated as taxable income by the IRS. For US citizens and resident aliens, it is your responsibility to report this income on your annual tax returns. For nonresident aliens, the University may withhold part of the award as taxes, in accordance with all applicable tax law. For this reason, we must collect SSN information on our forms. All information is kept strictly confidentially, and protected under all applicable regulations. Nothing on this page should be construed as financial or tax advice.

Non-Payroll Direct Deposit to Receive Payment

Students MUST set up direct deposit of reimbursements via Myslice to receive payment. We no longer issue checks as a means of reimbursement.

Instructions for setting this up are found here.

Non-Resident Alien Tax Withholding

Please Note: Travel reimbursements are taxable for all students who travel primarily in the capacity of a student in support of his/her studies and/or research. The IRS requires the University withhold tax and report the amount for nonresident students. Reimbursements to a student traveling to attend and/or present at a conference primarily in the capacity of a student (as opposed to an employee for job related matters) are considered nonqualified (taxable) scholarship income.

As such, Non-Resident Aliens who receive a Travel Grant Award will have taxes withheld from their reimbursement absent a treaty being claimed. The rate of withholding is 14% for students with an F, J, M or Q visa and 30% for all other nonresidents.

The following link to the University Comptroller’s website gives detailed information about what is taxable/reportable for nonresidents: Payments to Individuals – BFAS – Syracuse University

Questions regarding the Federal Withholding Tax, contact: Kirstin Guanciale – Email:

Phone: 315-443-4042, Option 2

Kirstin can provide a link to the FNIS Online Questionnaire to determine tax status, and treaty eligibility.

Note: This is not tax advice, nor should anything stated here be considered as such.