You should fill out this application if either of the following applies to you:
- You are a Syracuse University group who wishes to request Special Programming funds outside of your budget (RSOs within the GSO included).
- You are a graduate student/group who would like to request Start-Up funds as a new, start-up organization within the GSO.
Special Programming & Start-Up funds are designed to sponsor events that will serve the entire graduate student community and are thus open to all graduate students at Syracuse University. Undergraduates, faculty, staff or other-non-university persons are also permitted to be invited to attend events for which Special Programming & Start-Up funds are requested.
DIRECTIONS (Link to application)
Fill out the application as thoroughly as possible. The more information you provide, the more capable we will be at judging the merits of your proposal. Please do not send a separate proposal in lieu of filling out this form. Even though there is room for up to 3 events that can be listed on the application, feel free to add more in the text spaces allocated. Reach out to the comptroller with any concerns.
The GSO Fiscal Policy states that the Finance Committee will consider the following in making their determination on whether or not to grant Special Programming requests and how much money to grant:
- Number of graduate students to be legitimately served by the event
- Number of alternative funding sources that have been sincerely explored
- The need for the GSO to serve many organizations
- The present level of funding, if any, that your group receives
- The rationale and descriptions of activities submitted as part of the request
Please see our Fiscal Policy for a complete list of eligibility criteria.
Requests for Special Programming funds may be submitted before any regular GSO Senate Meeting. The GSO Finance Committee must first review your application. Your completed application, with all supporting documentation, must be submitted no later than ten (10) days before the next scheduled GSO regular Senate meeting. All applications submitted after this deadline will be considered at the next meeting or, if no additional regular Senate meetings are scheduled for that academic year, will not be considered. Once the application has been received, a representative of your organization will be asked to attend the Finance Committee meeting to answer questions or provide more information about your request.
Spring 2020 deadlines for submitting applications are at 11:59PM on the following dates:
- January 24, 2020
- February 14, 2019
- March 13, 2019
- April 3, 2019
If the GSO Finance Committee approves your request, they will recommend a sum to be allocated for final Senate approval. The Senate may affirm or modify this amount; the Senate may also deny this application or request further information. Since the Senate has seven monthly business meetings during the academic year, it is important to plan ahead in requesting funds so that your event is not delayed. Once the full Senate votes on approval of your request, your funds will be immediately available to you. However, you must follow University and GSO Fiscal Procedures to receive your funds, which can take time. Please consult the Financial Forms section of our site for information about how to get reimbursed for expenditures.
- The GSO cannot reimburse any expenses for alcohol in violation of SU policy – this means that a university-approved server must be present and serving at the event.
- The GSO does not reimburse tax.
- You must use any existing funds in your GSO account to defray the costs of holding this event. In other words, we will subtract the amount of money you already have in your account from your request for Special Programming Funds. Please see our Fiscal Policy for a complete list of requirements and limitations to uses for Special Programming Funds.
As always, please email our comptroller with any questions or concerns and they will be happy to guide you through the process!