The GSO is comprised of representatives from degree-granting programs and elected officials. The GSO also represents graduate students in the University Senate, allowing graduate students a voice in the larger issues of the University.
All graduate students are members of the GSO.
One of our most visible endeavors is the Inn Complete, a social club that provides a relaxing atmosphere and offers excellent refreshments (graduate students are eligible for a discount). We also subsidize Student Legal Services, which offers free legal counsel on issues ranging from lease reviews to moving violations, and partner with many other services on campus. Check out our Resources and Partners links above for more information.
The GSO offers Travel and Research Grant funding as well as funding for Special Programming events throughout the year which are put on by and for graduate students and the greater SU community. We are currently working on these projects:
- Growing and refining our travel and research grant programs to support travel to academic and professional conferences as well as general grad student research needs
- Ensuring departments and colleges effectively, honestly, and clearly communicate program requirements and expectations to grad students
- Improving graduate student advocacy at all levels
- Supporting graduate students as new issues and needs arise in higher education
- Supporting Syracuse University as it maintains a first-rate status for graduate education
Keep your eye out for announcements regarding these initiatives, and don’t hesitate to contact us.
If your program/department does not yet participate in the GSO or if your program has a representative but you would like to get involved in the GSO yourself, please consider sending a representative or becoming a Senator-at-Large.
The participation of graduate students is vital to our continued growth and success. The more representation graduate students have, the better able we are to understand and meet the needs of all graduate students.